Enabling Activities for the Preparation of Namibia’s Third National Communication to the UNFCCC
What is the project about?
Third National Communication (TNC) project is necessary to ensure that Namibia fulfils its reporting obligation to the UNFCCC. The ultimate project output will be Namibia’s TNC submitted to the UNFCCC Secretariat by 2015. The project will enable the country (at institutional and individual levels) to undertake assessments and studies including an updated Greenhouse Gas (GHG) inventory, updated national circumstances, constraints and gaps, related financial, technical and capacity needs, mitigation analysis as well as vulnerability and adaptation assessments.
Since Namibia has been experiencing unusual extreme weather events characterized by high precipitation resulting into flash floods with devastating effects on the crops, settlements and infrastructure in some parts whilst other parts experience severe droughts, much of TNC efforts will be targeted at updating sectors that are most vulnerable as indicated in the National Policy on Climate Change. The process to prepare the TNC will assist the country to better understand the climate change risks, impacts in order to devise and implement appropriate adaptation and mitigation measures in line with the national policy objectives and guiding principles.
The project aims to enable Namibia to coordinate the preparation process and submit Namibia’s Third National Communication (TNC) to the Secretariat as part of its obligations under the provisions of the UNFCCC.
What are the expected outcomes?
- Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Inventory updated
- Programmes containing measures to facilitate adequate adaptation to climate change developed
- Programmes containing measures to mitigate climate change
- National circumstances; constraints and gaps, related financial, technical and capacity needs; other information considered relevant to the achievement of the objective of the Convention.
- Development and compilation of Namibia’s TNC